Monday, December 24, 2012

A Bitter-Sweet Christmas

It would be good to have a couple of substantial snowfalls this coming winter, which would give some much needed soil moisture and increase the Decatur Lake level thus avoiding those summertime water restrictions, however I deplore snow, ice and all that accompanies it!

This time of year, I enjoy those family-gatherings but I miss sitting on my backyard swing 'ponedring' the ways of the world. Winter months finds me inside too much and it gives me Claustrophobia. From December until the first of March, I watch too many television (political )pundits and end up 'talking' at the television set; that ain't mentally healthy!

I used to telephone my grandkids years past and pretend to be Santa; lost that 'gig' a few years back. Speaking of gatherings, our home will begin filling up this evening; here is how it goes down. Youngest daughter, Pamela and husband Tim will arrive with their two children about 10 P.M. tonight.  Their oldest son, Caleb is a twenty year old sophomore at Eastern Illinois and their youngest daughter, Erica graduates Jacksonville high school this spring. Our son, Steve and wife, Kathy will roll in with Loren (17), triplets, Jake, Jamie and Carter (14) and nine year-old daughter, Shannon early Christmas morning. Married granddaughter, Amanda (Todd) and great-grandson, Talin will miss the Decatur-gathering. Around noon on Christmas day, the O'Keefe's land with teacher granddaughter, Lindsay (22), SIUE big boy, Kyle (21), soon to attend Western Michigan 17-year old, Colin, fifteen year old Connor, Kaitlyn (13), Alexa the eight year old and 18-month old Ashlyn.

We will do the gift exchange stuff and then 'stuff' ourselves while folks will begin to ponder which corner of the home they will likely find a few hours sleep. Early morning on December 26, the gears are shifted; we will hustle about and begin an unfamiliar task as we will travel to the Metro-East area  to pay our loving respect to the last of my parents' generation, my Mother, Lou Roustio. She was Mamaw to eight (8) grandchildren, twenty-six (26) great grandchildren and two (2) great-great grandchildren.

After leaving the burial resting site of my parents, we shall each head in different directions to await the New Year of 2013. I know that in the coming days and years all who knew my parents will hold special memories and from time to time they will think of them. I too will call upon many Precious Memories in these remaining days on earth and I suspect often times those 'memories' will occur in the midnight hours.

We shall do our best to celebrate 'that reason-for-the-season' as it is played out in real birth, life, re-birth, death and eternal life. Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment