Thursday, December 13, 2012

A February 14, 2013, Promise!

Let me clear out the head-clutter, which I accumulate from time to time and move on to other 'stuff.'

I can tell you that I am tired on every level. My sister-in law, Jean's wake (Tuesday) and the funeral yesterday morning put my wife and I back in Decatur late Wednesday. After putting away luggage and checking some telephone messages and emails, I showered and had pajamas on by 6 P.M. I truly cannot determine what fatigues me the most, a seventy-three year-old body that simply runs low on octane or a same age brain, which engages many emotions on the heels of so many recent deaths of family, friends and young, former basketball players whom I coached. As most 'guys,' I pride myself in that super-macho, 'I am man; I am strong,' which is actually nothing more than a persona emerging from 'smoke & mirrors.' That said, there comes a time when I must withdraw/retreat and gain composure.

I had a decent night's sleep so I'll tackle one of my favorite pet-peeves then promise you readers that I Will not mention the issue again until Saint Valentine's Day when it will be more appropriately to so do. I am referring to guns, too damn many guns in our society. I swear to you that on Wednesday's Decatur-Herald-Review newspaper, above the fold, appeared two articles side-by-side and I wondered, 'Does anybody note this crap other than me? Newspaper headlines: 'Illinois Lawmakers Near Passage of Concealed Carry Bill;' one column over... 'Man Fatally Shot In Decatur Park.'

The day before our brilliant hillbilly Illinois lawmakers move a moronic piece of legislation along, there was another one of those Shopping Mall multiple murders, this time in Oregon. If you do nothing but get your butt out of bed Saturday mornings and watch television cowboy flicks, you will see how the old American West towns were made safe; Dammit, the sheriff collected the cowboys' guns when they came to town and gave the guns back when the bow-legged boys were back on old-paint headin' out-of-town! Today, we are a nation of idiots who elect bigger morons to serve in government.

I know, you think that I am just an old cynical bastard, I understand that. Okay, then you square this one with your younger more 'hip' progressive thinking: Recently we have had our American Armed Forces leaders tell us that our soon to be military-age service people are too fat to pass most of the normal military training expectations. Our nations' medical doctors warn us that our children are so damned obese that early onset of heart disease and diabetes is a guaranteed fact for the next couple of generations. How and why did we arrive at this societal junction?

Just perhaps over the previous thirty-years parents became more inclined to never say 'no' to Junior & Missy but give into the kids' every gluttonous desire and an excuse note to the physical education teacher for the little 'porkers' not to work up a sweat. You ask fifteen folks WHO had public school physical education in the 1960's about their P.E classes and the 'President's Fitness Test.' On second thought don't bother, they too are likely cynical old bastards also.

Please; I SAY, PLEASE! The fiscal cliff is not the only plunge we may take. Cry me a river and go buy the fat kid a gun for Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment