Saturday, December 22, 2012

Well Done; Good and Faithful Servant

My brother, Tom (Glen Carbon) telephoned me Thursday, December 20 in the early morning; our Mother Lucille had fallen twice. The assisted living nurses suggested that he telephone and tell his brothers that our ninety-three year Mother was 'in trouble.' My wife Gerry and I left immediately to be at her side and with family.

I spent the night with my Mom as she continued her downward spiral. In the early afternoon and into the early evening hours Mother was somewhat coherent but often times confused and irritated. The nursing staff immediately began administering morphine and other medications to attempt to keep Mother sedated and comfortable.

Quickly, Mother slipped into a place of tranquility but out of our communication reach. Throughout the midnight hours her breathing became more laborious and that gurgling throat noise more pronounced.

At approximately 6:30A.M. the Nurses came to Mother's bedside and gave another dose of morphine and re-positioned her for greater comfort. At 7:00 A.M., I left for about twenty minutes to pickup my wife and bring her to Mom's side. As Gerry walked to the bedside, Mother took one final breath and peacefully entered that promise glory that we who confess Christ shall one day share. It was December 21, 2012 @ 7:45 A.M.

Of course, tears are a part of all final goodbyes. However, I thank God for two parents who loved me but yet did not worship me. Two parents who demonstrated to their children and grandchildren how to live, give and leave.

I pray that I can be strong in modeling those behaviors.

Our (Roustios) family will continue their Christmas celebration on December 26, as we all journey to the Metro-East and share our love and Precious Memories of Mother / Mamaw. Just hope the eulogist can keep it all in perspective and keep it on the road.

I wish all, especially those who take a moment each day to read my blog, A Merry Christmas and God's nearness and blessings this coming New Year.

It is often said that 'only the strong survive;' perhaps, however, I say it is the 'givers' who make it worth surviving! Find a need and fill it in 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment