Tuesday, December 11, 2012

It's Commin' Around Again!

Perhaps as it should be, we are so absorbed in our own life's journey that we give little thought to 'this' cycle of life and its culmination. I have long noted others' frustration with my Mother's weariness and her frequently spoken words, "I wish the Lord would call me home." I get it, she is ninety-three, has a number of physical maladies and her family love ones and close friends of her generation are all 'gone.' She is trapped in a quiet foreign place, which was once noisy and familiar.

Yes! I get it. My wife and I travel to Highland today to gather with her family to celebrate the life of sister-in law, Jean (Bischof) Conrad. Her death now leaves but two of the six Bischof children alive; my brother-in law, Glenn and my wife, Gerry. Let me assure you that 'back-in-the-day,' that group was something to behold at a family wedding or reunion; no more. Oh, today there are a bunch of nephews & nieces from my wife's siblings but they are in an entirely different cycle phase; they don't know me and I don't know them, however, Jean, Jack, Vince, Donald, Marilyn, Ruth and the list goes on; they all knew me and I knew them...but they are gone. My circle with whom to chat is shrinking. I am most certain that there are far more at these family funerals asking each other,"Who the hell is the tall old-gray-headed guy?" That would me me, kiddos and it seems like just yesterday that I was the youngin' asking that question.

I understand that a recent statistic reveals that 80% of the American population over the age 100 are women. This does not surprise me because I have long believed this to be a possibility. I base my suspicion on the fact that for years, I go the Sunday Church service early so I can get one of the 'good seats' in the back and when sitting back there, I notice more grayish-blue-haired women than bald-headed gents!

Without question the recent explosion of the senior-citizens' communal living, i.e. 'independent/assisted-living' housing growth stave's off this lonely-isolated feeling, however sooner or later someone gets to be the oldest amongst the oldest.

No comments:

Post a Comment