Wednesday, December 19, 2012

I Can Only Hope & Pray

I have been giving considerable thought to writing down some New Year's Resolutions, however the very exercise holds the notion that I am less than 'perfect' and that introspective is most distasteful.
I shall instead continue to level my poignant opinions.

I have preached for years against the ridiculous child-rearing philosophy that if parents and mentors give out constant 'praise' the child somehow benefits. In sport we noted this 'gummy-bears' approach played out with every motor-moron kid getting some trophy at season's end. I have always maintained this to be absolute bull-butter poppycock! My adversaries would argue that 'it makes the kid feel good about self' and thus the child will eventually elevate playing skills. Readers, if I take this proposed philosophical notion to its zenith, I could blow enough smoke in my grandson's  posterior and he will surpass Barry Bond's home run mark without shooting-up dope!

Hallelujah! A new study reports the following findings: It appears that there is part of the brain that processes unwarranted praise by shutting-down effort because the kid thinks he is OKAY performing at the current level and thus goes about effort and focus in a 'business as usual' manner.

Now that this bogus crap has been cleared up, I can only hope that soon a study will come forth concluding that if you 'spank' a young child's butt displaying bad choices, poor manners, selfish behavior and disrespect for others that child will have the better chance to grow up successful, happier and sustain longer loving relationships. The number of spankings that I received from my Father can be counted on one hand; the first few made an impression and soon, he only needed to get my attention saying, "Hey, boy straighten up and fly right!"

Now, you will excuse me while I ponder those resolutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment