Thursday, December 6, 2012

Tell Me Something I Don't Know

A friend recently emailed me and suggested that several people with whom I work on various projects may appear to be supportive of me to my face but behind my back perhaps 'sing' another tune. I explained to my courier that I was aware of these human frailties and thanked him for his heralded concerns but suggested he should not fret over such things in my behalf.

I can honestly state that, although these fraudulent and sometimes deceitful personalities are disconcerting, they can be easily compromised and even manipulated to allow for a purposeful and desired conclusion through an intentional leadership. I suppose simply stated, I have since my teen years enjoyed and embraced these kinds of challenges.

As a mentor (coach) of high school athletes, who were often times self-centered and selfish and their many overzealous  narrow-minded parents, I had to find successful methods of motivating such personalities from diverse cultural experiences, misconceptions and fears into a team-unit that would accept necessary roles and a sharing attitude. I became better than 'okay' at this challenge; the thirty-nine years coaching-experience makes dealing with adults a 'walk in the park.'    I should give much credit to my Father for developing this readiness. He projected interpersonal communication skills that were both cunning and ingenious. I worked for my Father in the business world periodically and observed closely his methods of management-manipulation; often times I would later pick his mind with inquiries. He suggested that a leader should decide if the worthiness of a cause was apparent for profit and/or good. He thought a good leader should plainly identify the 'need, enlist ownership to the cause and fill the need!'

When leading the group both sincerity and respect are always offered first and foremost. If those elements are not reciprocated the leader must confront, expose or attack the offender. A subordinate colleague who often could be suspected of disloyalty once said, "Mel, some people think you are pompous." I said to him, "Be quick with your point, I have some matters to 'serve' and there are people waiting to join me."

No comments:

Post a Comment