Monday, December 10, 2012

Feels Like Old Times!

I lack the desire to mentally retrieve the lost count of eulogies, which I have given over the years.  I know that should I 'go' there I will then fight the inclinations of melancholy sadness. I spent much of Saturday morning putting the finishing touches on my sister-in law, Jean Marie (Bischof) Conrad's eulogy as per the request of her five children. Jeanie's funeral in this coming Wednesday, December 12. I took my written-comments into the privacy of my office and read them aloud three times until I had voided myself of all tearful emotions; a must for this eulogist.

Due to my recent days of physical fatigue accompanied by concerns about Jean and my ninety-three year-old Mother's declining health, I needed to get out of the house Saturday afternoon and away by myself for a moment of imbecilic absurdity; what more silly foolishness for me as to 'go' shopping...I hate to shop! I absolutely deplore America's sick love affair with 'name-brand' identification as some ego-lifting status symbol. Often I go shopping with my wife only to become frustrated or angry over the ridiculous cost of clothing. Holy crap, I could buy the following items in 1954: a suit...$45.00; dress shoes: $13.98; Denim jeans: $2.49; Converse All-Star Basketball Shoes: $8.95. (A later reference to these 1950 prices).

Today, I have several nice pairs of dress shoes, which I avoid wearing at great lengths. I prefer the 'white'  leather Rockport walking-style shoe that usually sells for about $65-to-$70. No store at the nearby Hickory Point Mall carries the Rockport 'white' walking shoe. I spotted another shoe of the same color at a discount store and it was considerably less expensive... it is the Polo shoe for $21.00, including tax. Can you imagine? Hells bells, I thought I was 'Back to the Future!' When I came home with my great purchase, my wife laughed and made fun of me. She suggested that I should buy better shoes because of my back problems and she added, "Those shoes will likely fall apart when they get wet in a rain." I reject her opinion and embrace my Polo shoes; actually I wore them to Grace United Methodist Church on Sunday and noticed many people sneaking a peek at my shoes; they probably wish to know where I got the snazzy kicks!

...And for the record, it was raining when we came out of Church Sunday morning and my Polo shoes are in tact and looking good on my feet this morning, Thank You!

No comments:

Post a Comment