Sunday, December 30, 2012

Act Now; Be Free

"Weary" best describes my mind and body. Although, I am at peace with my Mother's death, I am none the less emotionally and physically tired from the past week's demands of  the Christmas-time grandfather role and the posturing expectations of the eldest son at his Mother's wake and funeral services. I have paused to offer humble thanks for the sustaining strength.

I know that many who read my blog also sent emails, telephone messages and sympathy notes and I thank you for those sincere expressions and kind thoughts. Each of us must face the loss of family and we all could embrace the moment with a celebratory spirit then push ahead in our own journey.
 I am truly grateful for the longevity I enjoyed with my parents and the sharing-relationships of my wife, children and grandchildren with my parents.

I wish to tell a brief story, which resonates so vividly. When I was perhaps eight or nine years-old, my maternal grandmother, 'Mammy' was reading some scriptures to her 'not very' interested grandson. She demanded that I pay attention to Deuteronomy 5:16..."Honor your father and mother as the Lord God has commanded you, so that you may live long and that it may go well with you in the land your God is giving you." Mammy then said, "Let me explain what it means, 'it may go well with you;' if you do not honor your mother and father, upon their deaths you will have many regrets that will be a cross to bear and a pain to suffer all of your days." I heeded my Mammy's words and today, I can say with no doubts, I never disrespected nor cursed my parents; instead I gave honor unto them.

I am free the remainder of my life to call upon all those precious memories and special times shared with my Mom and Dad;I have no woulda-coulda thoughts of regret! My hope for those who may read this blog is that they might take a moment to erase any angry words standing in the pathway of such freedom. I  hope that a conversation with children would be urgent.

I tell you this: Before the wake visitation for my Mother ended, I gathered all my grandchildren together in the parlor of Valhalla Funeral Home and told them the story that I just shared with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment