Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Best Cost Less

The legendary Negro League and later Major League Baseball pitcher, Satchel Paige once said, "I never look behind me 'cause somebody could be gainin' on me." I understood that comment. When I was a young boy, I remember adults saying something about 'keeping up with the Joneses." I had no idea what that meant for the longest time. Finally, I understood that the 'Joneses were a mythical family or any family that had more material stuff than our family.' Later, I connected that to 'coveting,' which is addressed in the Ten Commandments: "Thou shall not covet thy neighbor's house,. thou shall not covet thy neighbor's wife, nor his maidservant, etc, etc..." Of course, God and Moses had no idea that someday we'd have designer clothing, BMWs and all those computer gadgets.

Seventy-four years into my journey and acknowledging my evaporating energies, I have no inclination to look at or covet any thing. I do frequently 'look behind me anticipating that everybody is 'gainin' on me;' I just wish to know, which side to yield so as not to be 'run-down.' Actually, it is impossible to covet any thing immediately to the 'N o r t h' of my house because there is a huge eighty-foot, ninety-six thousand dollar boat in my neighbor's driveway blocking my view.

When it comes to coveting other things, I married well; my wife has always been one to get by / make do with what she has. I appreciate her attitude regarding 'material stuff.' Oh, once in awhile she mentions  (with a slightly envious tone) that one of her neighbor friends just got some thing new. I am quick to remind my wife that those neighbors will soon have a 'garage sale'  and she will likely 'make-good-deal' on those secondhand things.

As for this old man, I do admit coveting simple pleasures of life. This afternoon after my grass cutting chores, I'll head for the backyard swing with a 'cold' bottle of Pepsi and a bag of Planter's peanuts. Let me tell you a secret; pour the peanuts into the bottle of Pepsi...it's the best way to eat-drink-swing and enjoy! If you're near Decatur any time soon, stop by; got plenty of Pepsi and peanuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment