Tuesday, September 24, 2013

'You Sexy Thing'

 I am somewhat negative and hard on you social-media buffs however, I owe you a (shout out) thank you for a special telephone call that my wife and I received last evening. My son, Steve got into that face book 'friending-stuff ' recently and the end result was  good for old coach.

One special ball player I coached from a very special team was last night's surprise caller. It was Michael 'Hot Chocolate' Hammonds, a member of the 1975-76, Edwardsville 'Tigers' high school State (Sweet 16) basketball team. The team picture remains on my office wall these many years with other special mementos. That team's basketball players was unique in many ways. First and foremost, they truly enjoyed and liked one another. Secondly, they were collectively 'over achievers.' Thirdly, they had a tendency to 'push' the social behavior expectation envelop. The latter contributed to some of my grey-hairs. Lastly, they were coachable.

The squad members were Fred Barton, Hank Harris, Gary Reichmann, Jeff Hornberger, Michael Hammonds, Dennis Braundemeir, Brad Drda, Seth Rankin, Brad Gregor, Steve Tyler, Greg Barton and Mike Brady. My coaching staff included assistants, Steve Moss, Tom Pile and Ken Hickman. We had a 2-10 record in a very tough Southwestern Conference however, we were some kind of tournament team. The Tigers won their Christmas Holiday Tournament, the Jacksonville Mid-Year Tournament, the Regional and Sectional Tournaments before bowing out at the SIU-Carbondale Super-Sectional against Marion by two-points.

Every player on that 1976 Edwardsville State Team contributed to our success as we ended a 20-year Sweet Sixteen drought. Michael Hammonds also gave a signature song to our season. He was constantly singing the song, 'You Sexy Thing,' which has a line that says, "I believe in miracles, you sexy thing..." The song was sung by the group, 'Hot Chocolate;' now you know the origin of Michael's nickname-'handle.' Michael played some exhibition basketball with Marcus Haynes' Harlem Magicians for a brief period. Michael and the legendary, Haynes surprised me one night. I had contracted the Magicians to play an exhibition game in Jacksonville (circa 1990); Michael  had not played with the Magicians for some years  but flew in from Houston, Texas dressed and played with Marcus and the Magicians that particular night...I cherish the photo of the three of us taken court side that evening. The photo has hung in my office next to the Edwardsville high school '76  State Team for nearly twenty-five years.

Over my thirty-seven year coaching career, I was blessed with some outstanding players and I try not to get caught up in any individual comparisons; too many variables and too many role-playing circumstances.  I had three teams to make the Sweet 16 level State Tournament. All 37 of my teams combined for 546 victories and put their 'Coach' in the Illinois Basketball Coaches Hall-of-Fame...I thank each and every person.

In the future, I shall try to stifle my cynical attitude towards social-networking as I acknowledge and thank you for putting the 'old-fella' in the loop. I hold a special 'love' for all who joined me in every aspect of my coaching journey; you all remain a Blessing.

 I hope our '76  'Tigers' can get together this November; looking forward to the guys joining Hot Chocolate in a rendition of 'You Sexy Thing.'



No comments:

Post a Comment