Tuesday, September 10, 2013

So You Wanna Be Happy?

I suppose the driving force of the human-experience is to 'feel' significant, i.e., that which I 'do' truly matters, eh? This is why, I have always told my older grandchildren to pursue that occupation, which you truly wish to do and attempt to 'serve' others in some manner.

An early 'lesson' imparted to me as a young boy was my father telling me frequently, when giving me a chore, "Hey boy, any job worth doing is worth doing well." I believe the secret to work-place joy and happiness is 'finding that job' for which you have great passion  because you will undoubtedly 'do-it-well.' Then there was another voice that gave me a parting 'tip' from Illinois State University as I prepared to graduate. Howard "Moose" Hancock, the athletic director, pulled me aside and said, "Roustee (note; that is not a misspelling, he called me Roustee), when you take a teaching/coaching position some administrator will likely give you a written job description; tear the damn thing up and re-write the description with actions creating 'bigger' shoes to fill for your successor." Great advise. The benefactors of such a teaching philosophy are the youngsters.

At some point in most every one's journey, you have the opportunity to 'lead.' The most successful leaders that I have known have the unique ability to instill 'ownership-cause' in co-workers & followers. It is proven true that we all find a more 'willing' spirit when we feel tied to the outcome?

Life is a brief proposition. One has but a fraction of real time to 'do' whatever it is he/she is supposed to do. When I survey my professional and personal life, I notice a common denominator; love for those who need whatever it might be that I could possibly 'give.'

I must now push myself away from this typing machine and take toy poodle, Yodie for a walk. The pup has terrific leadership traits. He has convinced me that walking and picking up his 'poop' is important and getting him treats is fun; smart little fella. I just wonder: If aliens from another planet are spying on us and note me walking Yodie and picking up his 'poop' in my little plastic bag...how the hell are those 'outer-space cats' processing this activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment