Thursday, September 5, 2013

Surely You Understand

Most have perhaps heard maybe even  'said' the following: 'How could he/she do such a thing?' 'What was he/she thinking?' 'That was certainly wrong!' 'Don't they see the unfairness?' ...I am sure I leave one or two of your favorites out but you readers get the idea. From time to time, we are dumbfounded by the actions or behavior of others. There is an opening song line that goes like this..."How many times have you heard someone say, if I had his money, I'd do things my way." Well, doing things one's own way is one's own prerogative as it should be. All of us will do some things 'our way,' which cause others to be perplexed.

We should be thankful that there is a brain-component, which allows us to 'rationalize.' If we did not have argument-reasoning ability, we would have lots of folks jumping off tall buildings. Everybody engages in behavior that satisfies need, greed and pleasure. Some needs are basic, some pleasures are self-serving while some pleasure comes from servingAll greed is self-centered. I know the aforementioned to be true because my personal scoreboard reflects all. However, the beauty of 'rationalization' allows me to 'defend' most actions and behavior thus keeping me away from the top of those tall buildings. Simply stated: I'm OKAY; I had good reasons for my actions.

As most things in life, more is NOT better; too much of something can be dangerous. I offer the following examples: terrorists, mass murderers and politicians... these are perhaps some who take 'rationalization' over-the-top.

I remind my children, from time-to-time, that their abilities to rationalize can assist them in forgiving their father's behavior if they dig deep enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment