Monday, September 23, 2013

'Please Remember'

My wife and I attended a great-nephew's wedding reception this weekend past. It is always wonderful to come together with extended family and friends at such gatherings. Too often in this senior-season of life, we find ourselves hugging relatives at wake-visitations and funerals. A visitor to our dinner table asked my wife and I about our children and grandchildren. At some point the question was offered to me. "Mel, the inquirer asked, if you had only one day remaining in your life what would you want to tell your grandchildren?" That is a great question and I took the address of the person posing the question and told him that I would send a copy of a letter, which I sent to my grandkids a couple of years back; I share that letter with you readers today:

Dear Grandkids:

My emotional investment in each of you causes me to wish for an endless journey observing the unfolding of each potential. I know this cannot be, therefore I wish for you all to remember the following:

Your life will note many technological and social changes. Nevertheless, the keys to happiness will remain constant throughout your lives. (Read on and perhaps re-read). At times you will feel insignificant and thus be tempted to believe that you cannot make a difference. Don't buy into that cynical attitude; you will best serve yourself and others by embracing a spirited attitude and conviction that the world needs everything you have to offer. Adopt the willingness to say, YES...I CAN!

Do not dare fall victim to the meaningless cavity that you have some 'handicap' or disadvantage. Keep your eyes on the goal to serve others; even the self-centered people that you are certain to meet during this journey; these people also need your love, compassion and often times your help. Give without compromising your spirit or personal principles.

Remember that life offers no guarantees. Ever thing you attempt carries the risk of rejection and/or failure. Learn from rejection but be NOT discouraged. Failure need not be a final circumstance; however, living with the 'fear of failure' will cause emotional paralysis and will render you ineffective. Each of you have talents. You must be persistence seeking and developing the courage to apply those talents where they are most needed.

Find out early in life who you are and that which is your purpose. If you fail to attain this mission you lead an empty and nonsensical life. The happiest people I have ever known are those people 'doing' (occupation) that they truly want to do while seeking to fulfill Gods request... "That which you do for the least of My people you do also for Me."

Never stop dreaming and always look to improve the human condition. You matter to others.

God speed; God bless

Finally, memorize these two personal notes:  (1) A sunset is best when shared. (2) Get a dog because it will 'think' you are the greatest and on that matter you need no second opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment