Monday, September 30, 2013

Loss and Change Came To Many

Dean Harris...Part 2
Dean's 1972-73, Edwardsville high school senior season ended with a solid 20-7 won-loss mark. As is the case with many athletic seasons, some would say it was a good year while others might contend some 'parts' were missing or perhaps the team underachieved or the coach did not do a good job. I never debate season outcomes with 'drugstore cowboys;' one day I shall tell you why! Dean was recruited by several Division I universities but it seemed a slam dunk that Dean 'The Dream' Harris was destine for Jack Hartman's K-State 'Wildcats.'

Dean made an immediate impact as a freshman starter on Kansas State basketball team. The 'Wildcats' were 19-9 and second in the Big 8 Conference. Dean's rebounding and defensive abilities were strong attributes. It was the opinion of many college and professional coaches that Dean Harris would be a high NBA draft pick once he gained a little more weight and strength.

 The spring of 1974, found me doing what I had done for five previous springs, I was umpiring college and high school baseball games. I did the umpiring gig for three reasons: (1) our family needed extra money, (2) as a former baseball pitcher, I always loved baseball  and (3) I believed that I was a good umpire. That spring had Dean returning to Edwardsville after his freshman year at K-State. 'Tree' Harris was still teaching in East St. Louis and his assignment placed him at Lansdowne Junior High School; East St. Louis schools were 'in session' a few weeks from the summer vacation. Proud papa 'Tree' was awaiting his son, Dean to join him for lunch; Dean would never make the father-son luncheon. That May day had some severe thunderstorms with periods of blinding-down-pouring rain. My telephone rang and the voice on the other end belonged to Greg Ahart.  Greg and Dean had been teammates and enjoyed their friendship. Greg spoke, "Coach, I just passed Dean's car on Route 157 and it has been in a bad accident." Not wanting to believe, I asked, "Greg, are your sure it's Dean's car?" Greg's voice trembled a bit saying, "Coach it's Dean's car; it has that little tag on the back...you know the one that says, Dean The Dream."  I suddenly felt sick inside and numb of thought. I telephoned the Harris home and the accident was confirmed with injury reports causing me great concern and personal anxiety.

Dean was taken to Firmin Desloge Hospital in St. Louis; notorious for attending to the worst accident victims. I went to the St. Louis Hospital that early evening and visited with 'Tree' and Hazel just briefly. They were engulfed by family love ones and constant attempts to learn more details of their son's condition. I left the visitors' waiting room and wondered about the lower-level bowels of Firmin Desloge; it was well after the business hours. A lone man dressed in surgical garb was reading a bulletin board. He turned and spoke to me asking, "Are you here for the basketball player?" The question took me by surprise but I quickly answered "Yes, I was Dean's high school coach." He then offered the following: "I just did surgery on his broken leg." I asked, "How did the surgery go?" With a undeniable sadness and looking directly into my eyes, the surgeon spoke these words, "Coach, your boy has greater battles facing him than broken bones." I went back to tell the Harris family that I was going home and I would be in touch; I hugged both 'Tree' and Hazel before leaving; the look on younger brother, Hank's face pierced my mind forever.

The next day, I was umpiring at the SIUE complex.  During the game, Steve Porter, Alton Telegraph sports' writer called me to the side.  He told me that he just received word that Dean had died. I was not surprised but I was shocked; shocked to the extent I wanted to run away, I wanted to scream aloud; I wanted to sit in the grass and cry. The game over, I walked directly to my automobile nearby. Porter followed me with a request for...'some words about Dean.' I told him to give me a minute and he obliged. I sat down in my automobile and just cried for several minutes; I have never cried any harder. A terrible accident took two lives of two people. A son and brother from the Harris family and a sweet wife and mother from the Hartman family.
Part 3 Tomorrow...Goodbye to 'The Dream.'

No comments:

Post a Comment