Monday, September 16, 2013

Helpful Words

I am a Christian; a Methodist doctrine follower to some extent. Neither predispositions stop me from admiring other religions. Just last week, I was doing yard work when I noticed two young men in white shirts and neckties approaching my house; I knew immediately that they were Jehovah Witnesses. Had they been 'rap-singers' they would've been wearing their trousers lower and grabbing their 'genitals' while walking with a stiff-leg limp; they were NOT rap singers, they were Jehovah Witnesses!

I stood up from my grass manicuring activity and offered them a friendly handshake and immediately told them that I had a 'plan' for salvation but appreciated them caring and taking the time to think about me; end of greeting and end of conversation. I do admire the missionary commitment demonstrated by that religion and I expressed that as I sat back down to trim more ivy from the walk way.

I admire any group that stops four or five times per day to drop to their knees facing a certain direction and praying to their 'god.' I don't know of any Christian sect that does that 'stop-in-the-name-of belief-and-pray' religion. My goodness, I say 'grace' once a per day and whisper one other daily prayer and I pat myself on the back thinking that I am some kinda glory-bound-believer. Of course, I rationalize to my Christian-ego that I am always in a prayerful attitude; how 'bout you?

While returning from the Metro-East area this past Thursday, I did thank God for allowing a two-day get together with a couple of former high school teammates of mine. We are at that age when we know not when our ranks will suddenly diminish and any brief time we share is worthy of a thank-you, Jesus prayer.

I have a speaking engagement coming up soon which prompted my wife to ask a question. She inquired, "Over the years and the many speaking gigs you have had, which one paid you the most?" I told her that a school district once gave me five hundred dollars to speak for ten minutes and to this day I feel guilty agreeing to the arrangement. I did not tell my wife that my most 'profitable' words ever spoken were those words of praise directed towards her over our fifty-three married years.

I need to book a hotel accommodation for this upcoming speaking engagement but I hesitate doing it via the telephone,. I like to walk into a hotel and check it out before making arrangements. Actually, the best method for me regarding hotel stays is to pull under the hotel canopy, allow my wife to go inside and if she returns to the car smiling, I'm delighted to grab the luggage. I have just one hotel-stay-rule, if a sign appears on a hotel's front entrance, 'Interpreter on Duty,' I don't stay there!

Yes, I do whisper a prayer just before I am introduced as a speaker: 'Dear God, thank you for this humbling moment. Open ears that they may understand my words and filter those words to serve others.'

No comments:

Post a Comment