Friday, September 13, 2013

I Remember it Well...

The mosquitoes have been terrible this summer and consequently, my backyard swing time is diminished. When your time arrives you will understand the many pleasures associated with a yard swing. Aside from the shade, gentle breeze and mesmerizing movement; you embrace nostalgia reminiscing drifting through your brain channels while swinging.

Unfortunately, I am beginning to have memory lapses. I 'forget' things and if that continues, I shall be saying adios to nostalgia moments.  This could lead to the day when I'll be swinging and smiling like a blooming idiot and passing neighbors will believe I am happy and this will not necessarily be the circumstance.

Considering this possibility, I made a list of my favorite things just in case this 'forgetfulness' becomes a serious reality. I sent each of my grown children a copy of 'Dad's Nostalgia List' because there is a good chance that I will misplace my list.

Here is my nostalgia memory (cheat) sheet:

Favorite Song: 'Only You' (The Platters); but song hook...'if we could start anew, I wouldn't hesitate, I'd gladly take you back and tempt the hands of fate...' (Little Anthony & The Imperials).
Favorite Romance Flick: 'An Affair to Remember' (Cary Grant & Deborah Kerr)
Top Sport fete I witnessed: Stan Musial's five (5) home runs 1954 vs. Giants; Sportsman's Park (St. Louis)
Best Puppy Love Moment: Stealing kisses from a 14-year old girl named, Gerry at the 'lagoon,' Jones' Park (East St. Louis)
Son (Steve): At 6 years old he had his tonsils removed and insisted on eating a hamburger the same afternoon.
Daughters Dawn & Pamela: At 6 years & four years of age, they were mad at their mother & decided to 'leave' home but returned in 2-minutes because she knew they were not to cross the street.

Softest fingers: My maternal grandmother, Mammy Bennett; put me to sleep rubbing my head.
Most Compassionate Person: (giving): My father
The Best laughter: My mother

I remember that every thing goes better with chocolate. I remember Rush Limbaugh is the most mean spirited soul I ever heard speak.

 I once scored thirty points in a high school basketball game and pitched all eleven innings of a high school championship baseball game, which we won. I love my wife calling my name even when she is angry....and finally, my favorite grandchild is uh,...Uh,...oh crap, I knew this damn memory thing was becoming an issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment