Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Oh, Really!

I had a telephone call from a friend this past weekend; he posed a question. "Mel, don't you think that your recent blogs have been somewhat harsh on our fellow countrymen?" He was referring to my comments regarding the national poll, which suggested 59% of Americans were opposed to any military action against Syria after that country's chemical weapons attack on innocent civilians both adults and children. If you recall, I said that we should not take such polls seriously when considering that one-third of America's 317 million people either cannot 'read' or read at or below a fifth grade level. I'll double-down and add this: Most Americans regardless of 'reading-level-ability' are more interested in self-absorbed issues rather than the broader issues.

I did not spend much time defending my comments, I seldom do. I did thank the caller for reading my blog and taking the time to telephone with his thoughts and opinions. We talked about many other things before saying our goodbyes. I did give consideration in the ensuing days regarding the Syrian situation and Americas 'poll-opinions' but then just yesterday this bit of info came down the communication line: The three days following Miley Cyrus' burlesque-tease dance on the MTV awards show, the Internet logged the following: For every ONE Internet 'search' about America's position on Syria's use of chemical gas, which killed 1400 people, there was TWELVE Internet 'searches on Miley Cyrus' 'dance.' Hey, as the urban slang states, 'It is what it is.' We are a self-centered, self-serving lot.

 Most Americans basically don't give a rat's ass about any thing that does not affect their weekend fun-plans, i.e., party, tailgating or American Idol. I pass a neighbor's yard every day at 6:45 A.M. while on my 40-minute daily walk. The neighbor has a yard sign that reads: 'Pray for Our Nation.' I would second THAT request...however, when America's yard signs read: 'Pray for ALL Nations' ...we will finally have our heads out of our narcissistic asses.

I expect my good friend to call me back any day now with an apology; I've been hanging near the telephone in anticipation.

No comments:

Post a Comment