Monday, December 23, 2013

Cue From a Pup

I must confess that I missed church yesterday. I had difficulty sleeping Saturday night and simply could not get going Sunday morning. I think this old man's mind does too much 'thinking' at times it should be in neutral.

I spent the entire Sunday morning television sermon-searching. I first listened to Dr. Charles Stanley; he has excellent messages and keeps me 'In Touch.' After Stanley, I caught an interview with Pastor Joel Olsteen who ministers to that Texas mega church. Olsteen may deliver the most consistent positive Christian message of our day. Olsteen always makes me feel that more is possible. Finally, I caught up with an African-American minister who was giving a passionate sermon about embracing 'Spiritual Joy.' This sermon caused me to recall my East St. Louis youth. Back in the mid-1950's, I'd often listen to a local Black minister on the radio Sunday evenings. This Rev was once scolding his Church members. It seems there was an on-going regional drought and the Rev told his members that they would be praying and petitioning the Lord to open up the Heavenly waters on this specific Sunday evening. Well, the good pastor took issue with his followers when he said, "I look around the church tonight and I don't see that anybody who brought an umbrella...ye believers of little faith; where is your spiritual Joy and Hope?""

My memory walk was interrupted yesterday morning when the door bell rang. Quickly, as always, Toy Poodle, Yodie' sprang from the couch barking and scampered to the front door. As I walked to open the door, I looked down at the pup and noticed his tail was wagging wildly and he could not contain his emotion to greet this total stranger. I thought...what a wonderful display of 'spiritual joy and anticipation.'

As I prepare to press this post button, I ask readers to imagine a world with the 'trusting' of a child and the Joyous hope of a puppy.

No comments:

Post a Comment