Thursday, December 12, 2013

I Have THIS Idea...Wanna Help?

It was never just about coaching the team. As a coach, I understood that someone was there (in the position) before me and someone will follow. That said, I believe that any coach worth his salt, during his tenure, should program-build to the extent that the one who follows will have bigger shoes to fill; consequently, the youngsters coming to the program become the benefactors. Can I get an AMEN?!

When I took the basketball coaching position at Edwardsville high school, I initiated a sixteen team Christmas Holiday Invitational Tournament. I negotiated to garner basketball crazy Lincoln, Illinois and other strong programs such as East St. Louis, Bloomington and Elk Grove. This effort preceded the now entrenched Collinsville-Schnucks Holiday Classic. Due to a couple of Edwardsville individuals with personal vendettas towards yours truly, the Edwardsville Holiday Tournament was doomed for failure. Specifically, the monies made on the tourney gate was put into the general fund and used for 'other' purchases rather than the enhancement of the tournament; don't thank me, Collinsville. Thank those of those who are searching for hell.

After seven years coaching the Edwardsville 'Tigers,' I opted to leave and take the challenge at Jacksonville high school. The next twenty-one years reaped many benefits for me personally, the basketball program and athletes in West Central Illinois. Let me speak briefly and specifically to the latter. I had the necessary support to initiate and establish the following: (1) a Hall-of-Fame Program at Jacksonville high; (2) a Scholar-Rotary Athlete -of -The -Year Awards Ceremony for 51 high schools in West Central Illinois and (3) a  West Central Illinois All-Star Charity- Benefit Basketball Event. A huge tahnk you to the late, Jerry Symons, Buford Green and Ron Tendick for these realizations.

The beat goes on. Yesterday morning I met with Decatur School District Personnel and Decatur Park District Administrators to explore the joint endeavor of site developments, which will ultimately do two things: (1 ) Celebrate Decatur's rich sports history and (2) serve as an incentive to challenge our Decatur youth today to excel.

It only happens when you wanna and can identify others who wanna, TOO! Oh, it helps if egos are checked at the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment