Wednesday, December 4, 2013

What's For Dinner?

Okay; quick quiz! What does Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter have in common? Answer: Each holiday yields a seemingly endless variety of 'left-over meals!' Of course, Thanksgiving and Christmas produce similar days' after menu options. My, my, my the things we do with Turkey and Ham scraps. Just yesterday, I mulled over 45 different Turkey leftover recipes; everything from 'Turkey salad'-to-baked Turkey-lasagna cups. The Ham leftovers from all three aforementioned holidays usually ends up on my plate as Ham-salad or Ham & Beans.

I recall as a kid back in East St. Louis, taking egg salad sandwiches to school Monday and Tuesday after Easter. I arrived at my hallway locker on the third floor at East Side high school and placed the two egg-salad sandwiches (wrapped in waxed paper) in my metal locker at 7:30 A.M. and retrieving the delights 4 hours later when I headed for the basement lunch area. The sandwiches were usually lukewarm but washed down easily with milk. Potato chips and Hostess 'Twinkies' removed all lingering warm egg salad taste.

Arriving at age 75, come this February has largely been due to God's Grace and crap shoot luck! Keep in mind: if Benjamin Franklin would have had 'his way,' the National Bird would be the 'Turkey" and we'd likely be eating Eagle leftovers this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment