Friday, December 20, 2013

Make Winter Ponderin' Memories

I don't cotton much to winter weather. I prefer sitting on my backyard swing 'ponderin' folks' ways. When I am forced inside, I get Claustrophobia ponderin' and soon I begin talking to people on the television; sometimes I shout at them when they say stupid stuff. This behavior is problematic...my wife is building cause to institutionalize me.

Most of my life, I was on school buses during winter months as a basketball player or basketball coach, going to a game. I would gaze out those bus windows and see folks scurrying about going into malls and restaurants; I'd wonder what that must be like. Since retiring, I found out 'what that feels like' and I'd rather be back on the bus headed to a game.

A few years back, my grandkids were young and this time of year, I'd telephone them and pretend that I was Santa Claus...that gig is long up. I think kids, today, would have a better understanding of the true spirit of Christmas if their parents made them give away something they still cherish to an underprivileged kid before getting any 'new' gifts.

My wife and I became 'puppy-loves' when I was a ninth grader and she in the eighth grade...that Tally's sixty-Christmas'. Most of those Holiday Seasons, we bundled up kids and headed to the Metro-East area to embrace parents, five brothers, two sisters and a bevy of Aunts and Uncles. Yesterday, my wife and I had a luncheon with my brother, his wife and a brother-in law; that's all that remains. It is indeed, a sobering thought but I ponder the wonderful precious memories.

I wish you all a good memory-making Christmas this Holiday Season so that the winter-time of your journey is good ponderin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment