Friday, December 27, 2013

Wishing for More Journey

Yesterday morning, I did what I have done the previous eighteen years on the day after Christmas; I woke up at 6 AM and came downstairs to sit alone in our living room. My reason for this annual exercise is to embrace the morning-after quietness while all other family members remain sleeping. I can mentally study each empty chair where love ones sat a mere 10 hours earlier. They opened gifts, they showed excitement and pleasure in giving. They shared laughter and re-told old stories and shared new adventures in their respective journeys. I delight in this solo recall. It allows me to think more deeply about each adult child and grandchild's unique persona. What blessings!

Slowly other family members found their way from sleeping spots all over our home. Personal belongings were gathered and soon my wife and I bid adieu to twenty-three love ones. We spent the next five hours sweeping, cleaning and restoring order to the empty house, which had been so noisy with joyful celebrations. What glorious memory-making times.

This morning, we shall head to the Metro-East area to watch our son's Granite City basketball team participate in the Collinsville-Schnuck's Holiday Classic.

The time period between Christmas and the New Year will be marked with reflective thoughts laced with the 'hope' for tomorrow and more family-gathering stops perhaps another day after Christmas...perhaps more journey.

I hope your Christmas was the best-ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment