Tuesday, December 31, 2013

It's That Time

Happy New Year Greetings! The start of the new year brings attention to 'numbers.' We note the number '1' as it depicts the beginning of a fresh countdown to marking 12 ensuing months, which will allow us to catalog the unfolding events in a specific 'time-period.'

 Most Americans will select a favorite calendar upon which they will make endless notation-reminders of appointments and commemorative events. Consider this, if you will, 2014 looks foreign to this writer whose first calendar read, '1939.'

I always make 10 New Year's resolutions, after all it is part of the annual exercise. Here goes...

1.  I will drop 20 pounds by March 4, 2014
2.  I will not speak the names Hannity and Limbaugh more than once per week.
3.  I will continue to telephone my grandchildren and offer challenges and uncomfortable reminders.
4.  I will spend more time on my backyard swing...pondering.
5.  I will refrain from cursing Cardinals' manager, Mike Matheny...until October
6.  I will praise more and criticize less.
7.  I will embrace the possibility that those who disagree with me are not necessarily wrong or dumb.
8.  I will clean my garage and come to know where everything is located. (Leftover from 2013 resolutions) 
9.  I will have at least one 'date-night' per week with my wife.
10. I will continue to praise God for the 'things' beyond my abilities to procure as I ponder the ultimate question: 'Why has God been  
      so good to me?

I just read these resolutions to my wife and asked her, which resolution will be the most difficult for me. She said, "Number '6,' praising more and criticizing less will be difficult but embracing the possibility that those disagreeing with you is impossible for you." What does she know?!

No comments:

Post a Comment