Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Keep It Simple Stupid

As a 1950's East St. Louis teenager, I was exposed to a lot of ethnic cultures. My river city hometown had all kinds of ethnic neighborhoods; Italians, Polish, Armenians, Greeks, Germans, French and of course a Black neighborhood section. Let me state unequivocally that during the 1940's & '50's these segregated areas primarily existed by dwellers' choice. This was caused by first and second generation immigrants dealing with language issues. I wish I could say the same was true regarding the Black neighborhoods but that would be a falsehood...we all know why Blacks were in the South end of East St. Louis...poor but affordable housing and segregation.

As a teen, I enjoyed the music of Muddy Waters, Dinah Washington, John Lee Hooker, Little Milton, Sarah Vaughn, Fats Domino and others. I was young but I was not stupid about music. I knew some white singer would have a hit record with Fats Domino's 'Ain't That A Shame.' On main stream radio, Fats Domino's songs were not going to be played with the same frequency as Pat Boone's recordings. I listened to the local Black station to stay ahead of the curve.

On Sunday nights, I'd listen to that same radio station broadcasting from a Black Church. Once the Rev. scolded his Sunday evening congregation. East St. Louis was experiencing a drought and the preacher told his flock that they were going to pray for rain at Sunday evening's service. The Pastor gave the congregation the dickens when he said, "Brothers and Sisters, I told you we were going to pray for rain tonight and I don't see one umbrella...Oh, ye of little faith !"

Early in my Jacksonville coaching tenure, I attended a Black Church and noticed one of those 'wall attendance-boards.' On the board was this slogan: 'Be on time, Pay attention and Pray hard.'           The next Crimsons' season we had a new squad motto: 'Be on time, Pay Attention  and Play Hard.' That became my only three team rules for the next twenty-one years. I did add one additional thing
coaching in Decatur...'Play Hard Or Go Home!' Yep, it's known as the KISS philosophy...
'Keep It Simple a Stupid.'



No comments:

Post a Comment