Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Be Fair; Do Right

What's the phrase frequently used by the younger set..."It is what it is." I wish to speak to something 'that is what it is' but needs to CHANGE! Let me preface my rant by stating without hesitation, apologies or self-praise, I have championed the minority-cause my entire adult life and will do so until that life is no longer. That said, hear me...

Recently, a central Illinois high school basketball coach 'cut' his squad and chose not to select (keep) a starter from one year ago. Of course, we make the cheese more binding pointing to the fact that the coach in question is White and the player is Black. Therefore it is inevitable that 'race' would become an issue. I've heard that line often and I ask, why the hell would any coach NOT keep and play the best players provided the player is of good character and coachable?

While coaching at Edwardsville high school seven years, I received numerous anonymous telephone calls only to hear voices call me, "You ni*#er lover!" During my twenty one year tenure as Jacksonville's basketball coach, my teams were comprised of 40% African-American players from a community of less that 8% African-Americans. Still many of my Black ball players shared with me time and time again that it took them reaching their junior year in school to realize the street-talk that the "White Coach ain't gonna give you a chance" was false. It was a loser-line from for wannabe losers.

Okay, here's the 'It is what is' that needs to vanish. That central Illinois team I speak about has several very good black players playing for that coach. Many Blacks in that community know that the coach and his family who's catching all kinds hell from a segment pushing that race-issue is being WRONGED and yet those Blacks remain silent in defense of the coach...that's sad and it's cowardly and it needs to change. Just as I choose to speak out at other 'Whites' for bigoted transgressions against minorities, I would expect the same defense in my behalf from my brothers and sisters of another color when they see I'm wronged. I don't buy nor accept that silence for any reason.

True and complete emancipation is unqualified and it's roadway has two-lanes. Spare me the man who raises his voice for 'his' people and not 'all' people. Spare me the man who sees color before right & wrong.
(Touch)Do Right

No comments:

Post a Comment