Tuesday, November 21, 2017

'Stuff' or is it 'Junk?'

We all tend to collect and keep a lot of 'stuff' during life's journey. I recall many in my mother's family journeyed a long time and consequently garnered an incredible amount of 'stuff.' Mother's sister, Kate comes to mind because she lived to age 99 and my wife and I had the responsibility of the 'stuff' she left behind.  Oh sure, much could be defined as throw away junk but not so fast y'all.

As we sorted through my Aunt Kate's belongings we gained much insight into that which occupied her mind throughout her life and particularly in her latter years.  So many of those cherished memories displayed in photos, letters and notes. Of course, we boxed many items and brought them to our house thus those things became 'our stuff.' In the ensuing weeks, I found it rather difficult to simply toss away my deceased Aunt's personal items in some cavalier manner. I felt as if I needed permission. Who am I to make such a decision about another's possessions and making the 'cheese more binding' my Aunt was not present to defend her life.

With this experience in my rear view mirror, I've begun a personal sifting-through of my 'stuff' and  discarding or giving away items. My kids don't need that moment and besides, while I'm still riding the train, I should decide what's good 'stuff' and what's  'junk.'
(Touch)Junk Collector

No comments:

Post a Comment