Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Lighten-up Kemo-sah-bee

I'm sure most reading this blog have experienced moments in public when people nearby may be speaking in a language other than English. Often times, somebody in my company will express anger if not indignation for those foreign-tongue conversations. I hear comments like: "If they want to live in our country they should speak our language." Some even believe that those using another language other than English are 'talking' and laughing about them and thus they are offended.

Obviously, something is wrong with me because I am not put-off or angered when hearing folks speak in language other than English. I simply don't care. In fact, it reminds me of that phrase we all learned back in elementary school; 'America is a melting pot.' I am reminded of my youth in East St. Louis where the city of 80,000 had ethnic neighborhoods of Italians, Polish, Greek, Hispanic, German, French, etc. Many were second generation old country immigrants who, in fact, settled in same areas for the purpose of sharing customs and language. Of course, in time their children assimilated and those neighborhoods began to disappear. Today, I can close my eyes and hear Mrs. Jacknewitz call aloud for sons Stanley and Vincent using Polish words. I could never forget the broken English from 'Poochie' Gigalotto's Italian grandfather...the only English words he had mastered were curse words. You couldn't help but laugh when he said them.

Sometimes I really believe Americans would better serve themselves if they get off their 'high horse' and lose their pompous attitudes. How's that, you think I'm full if it? Well, let me tell you folks:
The Native American Indians didn't understand our lying English tongue...right here in THEIR COUNTRY.
(Touch)
Cherokee Nation

No comments:

Post a Comment