Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Got a Sandwich Favorite?

Those foods placed 'on' or 'between' slices of various breads has arguably been man's eating staple dating back to the 18th Century. I cringe thinking about meats Prussian King Fredrick 'The Great' may have slipped between his bread wraps back in 1740. How about an 'open fired tongue wrap?'

I have a great appetite for 'the sandwich' but unfortunately, I must concern myself these days with carbohydrate numbers, which elevate blood sugars. The one sandwich that has survived the decades is the peanut butter and jelly offering. Personally, I have other choices equally desirable: An all meat Bologna sandwich with mayo floats my lunch-boat as does a thinly-sliced Spam sandwich complimented by honey mustard. My wife prefers to fry her Bologna in ketchup. After a dinner meal of ham and beans nothing surpasses a late night 'cold bean' sandwich with a glass of milk.

When eating out, my wife always searches the menu for a Reuben Sandwich and she tells everybody that McGuire's Restaurant (Destin, FL.) has the best! If I'm in Destin, I order a Grouper sandwich any day and everyday. I can also handle a butter-fly pork chop sandwich or the Philly Cheese or a Corky's barbecued pulled-pork sandwich. Speaking of barbecue, the best barbecue sandwich I have ever eaten was made at Nichol's Bar BQ at the foot of the MacArthur Bridge, which spanned the Mississippi River on the banks of my hometown, East Boogie, Illinois.
Both the bridge and the barbecue joint are long gone...I'll bet that sauce recipe lives somewhere!

Finally, this: I began attending public schools in 1945 and stopped my 'formal' school education after Illinois State in 1968. For the first twelve years, I did NOT attend schools with air conditioning. Those first twelve years and I Brown bagged my lunch. I ate sandwich, i.e., Bologna, Spam, Cheese, Braunschweiger, Tuna Fish, Ham salad, chicken salad, egg salad and peanut butter & jelly. I arrived at those non-air conditioned buildings around 8 AM, put my brown bag lunch in a hot metal locker and retrieved it some four hours later for lunch. I try not to think about that much.
(Touch)
Bread = Sandwich

No comments:

Post a Comment