Monday, July 9, 2018

To Snoop or Not To Snoop

Last week while waiting for a Panera's luncheon companion, I overheard four women conversing in a nearby booth. They were debating their respective attitudes and philosophies regarding 'snooping' around their teen children's rooms. It was a pretty good debate since the opinions were split 50-50. Two mothers were adamant about respecting privacy rights of heir children while the other two moms felt an obligation to 'snoop' as a way to head off potential teenage problems should there be indicators.

I recalled my teen years under my parents roof. That totaled eighteen years and the experience had great clarity. I never once felt insecure, unwelcome or unloved. No sir! To the contrary, I sensed great love and support. Why, I never paid rent, insurance or bought food. I used the family automobile and never put gosoline in the vehicle. Come to think, I had a great financial gig going as a teenager. That noted, I never once thought that any part of our home was my exclusive territory. I assumed since my mother laundered my clothes, ironed them and put them away, she could examine anything in that house she darn well pleased!

Eventually, I went my own way, married, had children and 'snooped' on those kids. Today, I hope my grown children are 'snooping' on my grandchildren...'snooping' should be a family expectation and tradition if not a down-right family legacy.



No comments:

Post a Comment