Monday, July 2, 2018

Lasting Friends

I suppose there are several ways to depict and define a true friendship. Immediately coming to mind is the last line delivered by actor Richard Dryfus in the classic movie, Stand By Me>"I never had any friends later on in life like the ones I had when I was 12 Jesus, does anyone?" Perhaps the great truth in that premise is anchored in the obvious; our childhood friendships are unvarnished with no pretense for we all know from whence we all came.

Some would argue and make a good case that a true friend is evident when a person embraces and comes to aid or defense of another who is alone or chastised. Of course we all have those 'friends' we seek to be with because of common interests and like-minded thoughts and interests.

I shall offer still another definition of a sincere and real friendship. It is that relationship, which  sustains through the years even though miles separate the one-time intense association. You know the one of which I speak. It's those individuals or couples who were once in close proximity in a work environment or a common cause and after long periods of separation they reunite in conversation and laughter as though they have seen one another daily throughout the years. Gerry and I reunited with such friends this past Saturday for a long lunch.

It was likely fifty years ago that the Roustio's had such an enjoyable sharing with Jerry and  Marianne Sullivan. The ties that bind us are rooted in Mason City basketball. Jerry had been an assistant basketball coach for the 'Huskies' one season before I arrived in 1964. He remained my assistant during my three year Mason City tenure. When I left Mason City for the Washington High School basketball position, I was delighted to recommend Jerry for the head 'Huskies' job and the school board made the right decision. Jerry completed an outstanding 22-years mentoring those teams.

As we embraced our long ago friends in restaurant setting and began our conversational exchanges, time was easily erased as if it had stood still. So blessed that our paths crossed and we reconnected.

Those who read these words also have such friends. I hope you can re-unite. I thank Marianne Sullivan for making our reunion happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment