Monday, April 22, 2019

Careful, You Don't Know My Mind

I often hear my wife or my daughter's say to grandchildren of mine, "You're 'anal' just like your Boompa." The tone in their expression sounds more like criticism than praise. I never have understood the 'why.'

A anal retentive personality is a label given to one who is over-the-top with orderliness, perfection, meticulousness, neatness, reserve and suspicion. I don't think I'm all those things but that said, I really don't understand, which of the aforementioned traits suggests negativity. For the record, I refute the following anal retentive personality traits: Umm,........well, let me get back to you on that.

Okay, here's my deal. I am big on telling others that one of the secrets to living a good life is to 'Know Thy Self.' I know who I am, what I'm about and I make no apologies. I do my best to always prepare and not worry. I am very good at the former but struggle with the latter. This explains why, I anticipate beyond reason. If I have a speaking engagement in Braintree, Massachusetts on Wednesday at 1:00PM, I'll be in Braintree on Tuesday and make a dry run to the venue where I'm to speak. Never know when road construction is an issue. I coached nearly 1,000 varsity basketball games; I was surprised (caught off guard with the opponent's approach) 3-times.

I'm a stickler for promptness. If I tell you I'll 'be there' at a specific time, you can bet I'll be there, most likely a bit early. My basketball game days as a player and a coach found me on the toilet more times than I cared to count. Yes, I was anxious. The days I was scheduled to take the pitcher's mound in high school and college baseball, I had absolutely no restroom issues...that mannerism long ago told me all I needed to know about 'self.' I am a 'control freak.' When I took the baseball and pitchers' mound, I knew that nothing happens until I said it would happen and I felt I could CONTROL the    happening.


Oh, by the way, those who purport that I am such and such...don't buy it!

I am not aloof or stuck-up...what you are likely seeing is a very guarded person who was conditioned.
(Touch)
You Don't Know My Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment