Saturday, April 6, 2019

Life's Would-Coulda-Shoulda Moments

God only knows I've made my share of mistakes in my 80-year journey. That acknowledged, there's very little I would wish to change. Growing up near my maternal grandparents, I heard 'Mammy' Bennett speak many Biblical verses. One of her frequent scriptures shared was Exodus 20:12, which speaks to honoring fathers and mothers so your days upon the land, which the Lord has provided will be long. I suppose that's why I have preached so often to my own grandchildren about the wonderful gift of mothers and fathers. I've often footnoted my remarks telling grandkids that the day they look upon their parents for the final time, they want NO woulda-coulda-shoulda wishes.

I thought of those words this past week as several members of my wife's family assembled in the Metro East area to bid a farewell to my wife's 66-year old niece. Our family is like most other families in that there lies within some broken relationships. Two siblings of our deceased niece had not spoken to each other in 17-years. During the evening, the two were seen hugging each other. As said, "Better late than never," but then how much was lost to eternity in over six thousands days of 'I shoulda picked up the telephone and called."

I caution you to know in advance, no matter what your relationship might be with family members, YOU WILL MISS THEM SHOULD THEY LEAVE THIS LIFE  BEFORE YOU.
Your heart will ache. And know there is a vast difference between a 'longing ache and a hurting ache.'
(Touch)
Nights are Long

No comments:

Post a Comment