Thursday, April 11, 2019

We'll, You Know What 'They' Say

I'm always reluctant to invoke that cliche', "You know what they say." However, I'm currently sorting through some long-standing adages, i.e. "One help to a happy marriage happens when you find a mate who makes you laugh. You've heard that. Then there's the folksy belief that a young man tends to marry a woman with many of his mother's traits. I just telling you that's what they say.

My son telephoned me from Busch Stadium this Tuesday past where he and his wife were attending the Cards-Dodgers' game. My son said that my daughter in-law just asked him, "Is Joe Torre still the Cadinals' manager?" (Note: Torre last managed the Birds in 1994) Whereas that question in baseball circles would appear bizarre, it's not as off the wall as one of the girl's more recent comments. Just before the Mueller Report on the two-year investigation of Russia's collusion with Trump's campaign, my son said to his wife, "Hey honey, The Mueller Report is going to be released tomorrow." Her response, "Who's Mueller?"

In the late 1957, my wife (my 17- year old girlfriend at that time) and I attended a Cardinals baseball game at old Sportsman's Park. During batting practice, she commented, "Why I'd take that pitcher OUT, every batter is hitting the ball HARD." Then during the third inning, she asked, "Why are all the posts painted pink half way up and then green?" My wife came from one of the most well-known baseball families in East St. Louis...go figure.

There is a possibility that this 'stuff' in DNA driven in some cases. Our youngest daughter followed in the cheer leading footsteps of her older sister. During a high school football game she was heard on the sideline chanting, "Hold that Line, Hold That Line." You guessed it, her team had the ball on offense.

A few years ago, I was attending a Cubs' baseball game at Wrigley Field with my son in-law, grandson and granddaughter. I should mention that the granddaughter did NOT want to go to the game but reluctantly agreed. After the game and while walking across the parking lot to our auto, my granddaughter asked me,  "Did the Blackhawks win?"

Say goodnight, Gracie!

No comments:

Post a Comment