Friday, January 4, 2013

Call Them Like You See Them!

Collinsville, Illinois is a community of some fine people. My parents lived in Collinsville and operated a restaurant for a number of years. My Father was very active in Collinsville Service Clubs. My wife and I purchased a home along the Route 157 bluffs in Collinsville and lived there a few years while coaching at Edwardsville high school.

My personal history with Collinsville began as a high school baseball and basketball player participating in the Southwestern Conference where Collinsville High and East St. Louis High were competing members. I mentioned that I coached at Edwardsville high school and they, too were SWC members. It is fair to state that I have a long history with Collinsville. Did I mention that Collinsville has some fine folks? Well, Collinsville is also plagued with some folks who are totally absorbed in 'self!' When folks view the world through self-righteous lenses, they completely turn me off.

Okay, let me cut to the chase. Several years ago, the Collinsville boys basketball team participated under the first of a two-year contract in the Decatur Public Schools Thanksgiving basketball tourney. (Please note that I have coordinated this event for the Decatur School District for a dozen years). Collinsville was  over matched and defeated soundly three straight games. The Collinsvlle basketball coach requested that I release them from the second year contractual commitment because they were 'in over their heads.' I accommodated those wishes without any financial fine for vacating the contract. It was the 'right' thing to do.

During this past Christmas season, I was in the Collinsville area for my Mother's wake visitation and funeral. After her funeral, I attended the Collinsville Tournament to watch my son's Granite City team compete. Our youngest daughter, husband and two children did the same before returning to their Jacksonville home. The individual who was that basketball coach 'wanting' out of that contract years back is now Collinsville's athletics director. He gave my daughter a hassle about the manner in which the Granite City coach listed names on his pass list and did not allow my daughter and three-family members free-pass-gate admission.

I addressed the matter with the Collinsville athletics director upon learning about it. In no uncertain terms and with succinct verbal expressions, I reminded him of 'doing' the right thing as did I allowing him 'out' of that contract years earlier. His response: "That was your choice, you didn't have to do that."

Did I mention that Collinsville has some fine people; they really do!

PS. I allowed one week to pass and then I telephoned the Collinsvlle high school Principal. The spirit of the conversation was to explain what happened and urge the Principal to have a 'mentoring' session with his athletics director. It is unimportant determining who is right but more important to GET IT RIGHT! As I suggested to the Principal; it is not often that educational administrators have the opportunity to be a 'hero;'  seize the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment