Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I Did Not Know Abner Doubleday!

Look, there has been volumes written about the male ego; face it guys, we are over-the-top when it comes to self-interest, conceit and pride! There, I have stated it in a publicly admission. Please note that I did not apologize for such egotism; simply confessed. This male craving becomes more difficult to garner as we 'grow-older.' Our slowly declining relevance begins to erode the opportunity to 'strut.'  By golly, I believe I could once 'strut' while sitting down! However, we eventually become insignificant players; no longer prime timers.

After retirement from the mainstream, I began building my warm ego-stroking cocoon through a couple of books writings, speaking engagements and coaching-certification teaching. Unfortunately, time and lack of school funds soon halted those ego-lifting gigs. Today, this old-goat fusses with directing a once a-year basketball tournament for Decatur, serves the same as a sport consultant and bugs you with these daily rantings. I tell myself that I still enjoy 'going out' but I must be honest I like coming coming home better.

Yesterday, I was in a telephone dither of important matters calling area high school athletic directors in a fact-finding mission for the  Decatur School District. Also, my plate was occupied by several conversations and email exchanges with Illinois State University folks as I attempt to position granddaughters, Erica and Loren for student employment in the  ISU  athletic  department when they enter next fall.  I was just a busy-boy filled with self-importance.

When the telephone rang, breaking my checklist rhythm, I was surprised to hear a gentleman identify himself as an associate director at the IHSA office.  Suddenly, I was 'back-in-the-day' as a principal figure in this State of Illinois High School Sports' governing body! The gent said that he was seeking my assistance! Dad-burn-it, I AM THE MAN! Shucks, the IHSA needs my help. Take a deep breath Mel.

The IHSA representative did not really know me but said, "I was in a meeting recently and the Director gave me the charge to develop a 'History of Illinois Prep Basketball Invitational Tournaments that are the oldest; somebody in the meeting room told me to telephone you." Whoa!Talk about an ego-buster backhanded compliment.  My self-glorified perceived wisdom now shares the stage with old timer info-status.

Hey, while you all may, feel free to telephone, Methuselah Mel...but call before 8:30 P.M., please!

No comments:

Post a Comment