Tuesday, January 29, 2013

It Floats My Boat

I would believe that every person needs diversion in their life. We must occasionally escape from stress and pressure, which can build to unimaginable crescendos. We refresh as we embrace a light-hearted distraction found in entertainment, social events and recreation.

As others, I do those things such as movies, dinner and social engagements. Aside from those customary amusements, I find joy in another avenue of release. It is an exercise that I suppose offers a quasi expression of sorts. I spend much time compiling various composite collections of rare  vinyl 45 record classics and Long Play albums. The songs and recording artist of the 1940's and 1950's are my preferred targets. I will 'burn' different compilations onto CD's and then send those CD's to friends. I have some 'old and rare' recording stuff. For example: The De Castro Sisters one hit wonder, "Teach Me Tonight" is seldom if ever heard on any 'oldies' radio stations. And what about Little Milton's rendition of "Grits Ain't Groceries?"

Considering the many things that separate and define us as different, I believe yesterday's vocal artists and their songs bring a generation together in a time frame of  special-commonality if just for a moment; the time it takes Etta James to sing "Dance With Me Henry" or Tommy Edwards to sing, "Please Mr. Sun." My friends will smile hearing the powerful voice of Don Cornell belting out, "I'm Yours" or the classic by The Browns, "The Old Lamplighter."

We all look back on our youth with mixed emotions. Our yesteryear's did shape our lives. Certain world and national events will always stand out in memories as well as our personal side of life that perhaps offered life altering events. Most of those memories are stirred and likely sharpened by musical sound tracks. Some recollections are held with fondness while other recall can be painful. The songs of our youth have become staples holding together remembrances of classic television shows, popular dance crazes and that special romantic relationship.

Someone once accused me of 'living' in the past. I dismiss the notion unapologetic noting that the 'music' of our times made us incurable romantics. I will leave the documentation research to others, but I would bet that the generation of the 1940's and 1950's have fewer divorces than any other two generations and my money says, the love songs sealed the deal! Goodness, how could two people walk from each other with a history of slow dancing to Frankie Laine's, "I Believe?"

Excuse me while I move myself from this typing machine; I intend to make some composite CD's with the voices of Patti Paige and Joni James. Before I go, I leave two music trivia notations: The most frequently played 'juke box' song is 'Crazy,' which is written by Willie Nelson and sung by Patsy Cline. The most frequently requested song for DJ's is "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers."

Okay, once a week select three of your favorite songs of long ago and listen as you attempt to identify the song's 'hook.' Do that exercise once a week; let me know if you can't find the song.

No comments:

Post a Comment