Wednesday, January 2, 2013

It's a Legacy Thing

I know of no 48-hour time period within the span of one-year, which causes me such a vast range in emotional feelings as does that of December 31st and January 1st! My head swims with moments of reflections of a year past and the potential yet growing uncertainty anticipated in a new 12-month setting.

One thing that perpetuates this cross-hairs/ head-spinning of the previous year's recall as it clashes with the dubious uncertainties of tomorrow is the plethora of television programming explanations of what happened and the predictions of what's happenin'. Surely, we who have celebrated numerous New Year's revelries pause in our tracks as we note the many of contemporaries relinquishing this journey. On an even more personal level, do we not falter with hesitation counting and remembering  the names of family and friends departing our midst in these past 365 days?

As I sort through and negotiate this human maze, I always come to the same conclusion; this experience man references as 'life' has and will forever be about birth, re-birth and hope, which survives through our service to others. I share with you these personal moments with my recently deceased Mother. In her very latter years, I watched my Mother's strength evaporate, her beautiful body endure the ravages of age with accompanying maladies and the confiscation of her dignity. I recall many times during this period when she would say, "I am tired and old, my love ones and friends are all gone; my body denies my wishes, I wish to go home; why doesn't HE take me? During these personal conversations, I would tell my mother: "Mom, God still has plans for you here, perhaps you have another life to touch in HIS name." Oh, she would always agree with my counter and the moment would give way to another conversation topic.

The very last lucid verbal interaction with this lady, my greatest gift, was three days before she passed. I spoke to her on the telephone and she said, "Oh, honey I am so depressed at times." I immediately but firmly interrupted her thought refusing to allow her to run with that feeling but interjected, "Mom, you cannot give way to that emotion; you must ask your Lord to hold your hand for these final steps!"  Before another judges those words that I expressed to my Mom, please note that those were words I heard from my Mother's lips many years ago. It's a legacy thing!

Oh, 2013?  I know that my God has plans for me and I have some plans, also; together they will happen in this New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment