Thursday, January 3, 2013

Time is Fleeting

I suppose it is one of those thoughts that surface when we 'closeout' the old and bring in the 'New Year.' I speak of my mind's tendency to reflect. I was engaged in one of those reflective moments last night as I began to make a mental list of those folks who impacted my life to the extent that those interpersonal collisions created most of what I did!

Actually, I made two lists on the subject: one list included family; the second list did not. First, I offer the 'impact-list' with family: (1) My father nurtured that seed-growth in sport-play and do it without complaint. (2) My Mother was that guidepost in manners and 'how' to treat women. (3) My maternal grandmother (Mammy) was the constant Biblical Scriptures voice in my head.
(4) My paternal grandmother (Rosedelle) demonstrated that 'silent-strength' in the most difficult circumstance. (5) E.V. Bennett (maternal grandfather) offered the 'good-nature;' don't take yourself too seriously demeanor. (6) Bob "Moe' Croak, a first cousin was a nut about the game of baseball. He was three years my senior but I always enjoyed being around him because he was so 'upbeat.' I must have bee about nine years old when Cousin Bob rode his bike into Grandpa E. V. Bennett;s driveway yelling at me to follow him to the local baseball sandlot where the Rosemont 'Rangers' were to play the Washington Park 'Flyers.' The 'Rangers' were one player short and I was the designated right fielder. Although, slightly intimidated by the older players that day, I was smitten by the competition and my life's direction changed on that hot summer sandlot game day! Thanks, Bob.

The aforementioned blueprint and anchored foundation was taken into my public journey only to be impacted by others; here is that second impact list: (1) Mr. Jim Spickard, a little league baseball coach repeatedly explained the connection between sport competition and life. (2) Pick Dehner asked me to drop out of high school for one semester so that I would not graduate in mid-year thus keeping intact two back-to-back basketball seasons. Because of this maneuvering, I gained a sport scholarship and a free college education. (3) Ray Sonnenberg, a YMCA Director hired me to work the East St. Louis summer Y Camps. His methods of interpersonal communication skills rubbed off. (4) Illinois State basketball coach, Jim Collie. He recruited me and took special interest in my career development as a 'Coach.' (5) My wife, Gerry. I place her on this list because she did not start out as family. We dated for seven (7) years before we married and we shall mark our fifty-third anniversary come June. Her sincerity and love for others is a standard, which I can only aspire to achieve!

I would hope this blog would cause you to 'make-a-list.' Once you finish with the list (s) consider telephoning or writing those still alive on your list and thank them; some, I waited too long to contact.

No comments:

Post a Comment