Tuesday, January 8, 2013

One Man's Observation

I only know what I know from the experience comparisons in my nearly seventy-four year-journey. That said, what I am going to share with you is my factual account, however there is no 'right' or 'wrong' to be concluded. Let me examine the parenting imposed and observed and the social climate of my youth matched against today's climate. I would also examine my Methodist Church transfiguration, news source assimilation, schools and work-place attitude. Ready? Let's go!

(1) Parenting: My parents were middle class blue-collar people with strong Christian principles. I felt very secure and never doubted that I was loved. However, I never felt that I was worshiped by parents or grandparents nor more important than others in the family. I was told 'no' frequently and spanked on occasion. My Father made it extremely clear that his wife (my Mother) was special. During my teenage years, my Father often cautioned me when I was leaving the home at night, "Boy, don't let your mouth overload your ass and be home before midnight!" My Mother's advice focused on the importance to respect girls and wear clean underwear; the latter had something to do with her being embarrassed at a hospital. I think most of my grandkids feel much more important and entitled than did I at the youthful years. I would distinguish between my youth and that of my grandkids thus: I really wanted to please my parents whereas, I sense that my children really want  to please my grandchildren. I could be wrong but I think not.

(2) Social Climate: My adolescent summer days found me gone from the house most of the day and never was there any concern for my whereabouts or safety. My parents never worried themselves with my practice of hitchhiking a ride to the community park. I am certain that kidnappers and pedophiles were around back in the day but it is seemingly a greater issue and cause for parental concern today. Once upon a time, many folks had shotguns for hunting and no one had a semi-automatic gun...that crap is bassackwards today! I note a connection between today's violence perhaps linked to the closing of most state mental institutions and the replacement with halfway houses where people sometimes don't get their medication.

(3) The many Methodist preachers I heard from the 1940 and 1950's pulpits frequently spoke passionately about my sin, my need to repent and the consequences of Hell's fire. Today, I hear  Preachers sweet-talking congregations!

(4) Back-in-the-day, the dad gum television picture turned 'fuzzy' or a test pattern appeared on the screen late at night; T.V. programming ended at some point! Today, we are kept in a frenzy (24/7)with constant 'loop' replays of the most hate-filled and mean spirited dialog one can imagine.
Is it any wonder that should someone 'look' different or 'think' differently they are automatically 'good-for-nothing' enemies!

(5) I grew up respecting the clergy, teachers, police officers and other folks of authority. Many people today speak disdain for these professionals. Imagine, my parents 'sided' with teachers! My Father's buddies were heard 'boasting' about their work skills and productivity; today, many workers brag about 'how much they are paid and how little they need do!

Of course, the good news is that we have more time to either complain, fear or fix these problems, if they are problems, because we now live longer!

No comments:

Post a Comment