Thursday, January 10, 2013

Friendship Untold

Absolutely, I believe in the age-old adage; 'opposites attract.' I was attracted to a 13-year old girlfriend with whom I have now been married 52-plus years. The list of ways one could count 'our opposites' is lengthy, indeed!

One of my wife's opposite traits, which I find so admirable is her ability to make that human connection quickly and become such a trusting friend. I have told her many times that my numbered acquaintances far out-distance her acquaintances; one of the biggest reason is her casual acquaintances become friends. My wife immediately accepts folks upon 'face-value' whereas I tend to hold back due to doubting trust issues. I understand why I withhold trust and yet it is never going to change; like the young folks say, 'It is what it is."

Don't get the wrong idea, I do have friends, just not the number found on my wife's dance card. I have had many friends these past few weeks reach out with sympathy, love and offered prayers upon the death of my Mother. I so deeply appreciate the many kind words and certainly the memorial gifts to Hospice in my other Lucille's name. I thank them all.

One individual sent a note with kind thoughtful expressions and wondered how I could keep such poise giving Mother's eulogy. I will confess that in several private moments, I shed my tears thinking that all our Mother-Son conversations have ceased. Let me tell you how I could keep things together delivering that eulogy. Before walking to the lectern, I stared at my Mother's profile as she lay there.
I said to myself several times over, "I am most blessed to have had such a long and wonderful relationship with my ninety-three year old Mother and I pray to our Lord that He comfort those Newtown, Connecticut parents who lost a lifetime with their children. I cannot imagine such heartache and pain.

Yesterday, I opened a lovely sympathy card from Ann Hoffman which held heartfelt personal words about losing my Mother. WOW! What a perfect Christian lady. Ann and Bob Hoffman's son, Bobby died suddenly and unexpectedly at age forty-one leaving his young wife and two very young daughters. Mrs. Hoffman once again thanked me for "all" I did for Bobby when he played basketball under my mentoring. As I finished reading the woman's note, I closed my eyes to feel the hot tears swell. My immediate thoughts were not about my Mom but about another mother, Ann Hoffman and her incredible Christian testimony working its Christian friendship through unimaginable daily anguish.

Here is a sad reality about the high school coaching career: A wise coach must keep an arm's length from all parents due to the inevitable jealousy between parents as they perceive favoritism to another child. This situation stymies a coach's ability to make friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment