Saturday, March 2, 2013

Make Your List; Make Your Calls...NOW

One day last week, I was doing my 30-minute treadmill-walk while watching a television game show. Of any television programming to watch during something as mundane as treadmill walking it IS a game show; seems to break the routine into segments and makes the time go quickly.

The show was 'Family Feud.' This is where two families of five contestants each try to guess the most frequently given answer to questions from a poll of 100 people. One question and the subsequent answers struck me as most interesting. The question: "What five people's contributions have most changed the way we live?" While I am walking and trying to ignore my arthritic hip pain, my mind is churning faster the my feet are moving. (Note: Once upon a time my feet were a helluva lot faster than my mind).

Let me see, I thought about my list: how about, Jesus Christ, Edison, the Wright brothers or perhaps Lincoln, Ben Franklin or Jerry Springer? Well, before I could decide on my five they announced the list of five folks the survey rendered as most changing our lives: (1) Martin Luther King (2) Oprah (3) Bill Clinton (4) Ben Franklin and (5) Jesus. Immediately, I was convinced that this bogus poll survey was done at a Democratic Party Convention or fundraiser. Check it out, you will note that all the people are liberals; well, I'm not sure about Franklin.

The question started me thinking about people whom have most influenced or changed the direction of my life and perhaps.  When I finished my walk, I jotted down two lists of five people impacting my life the most. The first list comprised 'family' members and the second list 'non-family folks.' Within two days, I contacted a few of those people and 'thanked them.' Unfortunately, I discovered that too many of the people 'touching' my life are no longer living; I missed the moment to express my gratitude. 

Why don't you make your list (s) this weekend and consider the telephones call soon. A warm feeling awaits you!

No comments:

Post a Comment