Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Spinning Wheel

Jerry Symons died early yesterday morning after a brief seven-weeks battle with liver cancer. Let me check numbers before going further. Jerry was 71 years old, his wife Sharon has been afflicted with multiple sclerosis for 25-years and Jerry broadcast Jacksonville high school and West Central Illinois sports for 50 years for Jacksonville radio  station WLDS/WEAI.

I first met Jerry Symons in 1970, when I coached the Edwardsville 'Tigers' basketball team. My 'Tigers' competed in the Jacksonville Round Robin Mid-Winter Basketball Tournament. Jerry would interview the opposing coaches at court side just before we played the host Jacksonville team. Symons  always conducted a professional pre-game interview. Hardly could I imagine in 1970 that one day, Mel Roustio and Jerry Symons' paths would intertwine for an amazing twenty-one year journey but they did.

I accepted the Jacksonville boys' basketball coaching position in the fall of 1977, and for the next 21-years I would serve that school district in various capacities: coach, athletic director and alternative education instructor. It was my relationship with Jerry Symons which, was the catalyst that served as a significant impact on our own basketball program and West Central Illinois basketball.
As coach, I kept communication lines open with Jerry Symons who would then convey positive and supportive comments when broadcasting games and hosting radio 'call-in' programs. Jerry and long time Jacksonville Journal-Courier Sports' Editor, Buford Green became vital team players in my effort to develop the Jacksonville High School's All-Sports Hall-of-Fame program and the annual West Central Illinois All-Star benefit basketball game. Later, Ron Tendick, Jerry's high school pal and news director at WLDS radio would assist me with initiating the West Central Illinois Rotary Scholar-Athlete Recognition Ceremony. Tendick later served for many years as Jacksonville's Mayor. I was incredibly blessed with these friendship-associations.

After two years coaching at JHS, Jerry invited me to host my own Saturday morning 'Sport Spotlight Show' on WLDS Radio, which he co-owned with Don Hamilton; I did that show for nineteen years. In my last four years at the Crimsons' basketball helm, I was retired from the athletic director's position and once again invited by Symons to serve as a radio D J on WLDS during a daily 4-hour morning shift. It was a joyous experience that only happened because of  a shared professional respect and a common desire to serve people. The WLDS (behind-the-microphone) experience led to the IHSA inviting me to serve as television basketball analyst for the Class AA State Tournament.

 I am terribly sadden to lose such a good friend. I shall cherish always, my memories and shared history with Jerry. One special memory unfolded the last couple of weeks I was on the WLDS morning show. I had used long time market analyst, John O'Keefe personal multiple sclerosis story to generate a WLDS listenership donation campaign for MS. One day, Jerry Symons entered my announcer's booth and with tears in his eyes he said, "My desk is piled high with letters containing money/check contributins; it reminds me of the scene from the Christmas movie, Miracle on 42nd Street when the Post Office delivered they mail to the courthouse judge deciding if there indeed was a Santa Claus."
. When I give such pause to name the six relatives, three former players and two friends who have died the past two years, m head swims; my world is spinning out of control. I find myself playing on the floor with Toy Poodle, Yodie more and more; it is a peaceful and recognizable exercise experience that slows the spin.

No comments:

Post a Comment