Friday, March 8, 2013

Take Time/ Discover Riches

By the time one arrives at his seventh decade, one might tend to subscribe to some theory of completion or 'encountering-end;' an attitude of 'what's left.' I suspect many folks my age close their minds to the possibility of new experiences, different events and new friends.

Several years ago, I re-connected with an old acquaintance, Tom McGraw, a former sports teammate of mine back in the 1950's, East St. Louis High School. Back then we were not 'friends' but best described as teammate-acquaintances. Today, my wife, Gerry and I would count Tom and Ann McGraw as two of our dearest friends. Both couples telephone the other frequently and are often making plans to hook up in the near-future. I see our relationship as a blessing and owe a thank you to my Jacksonville basketball fans who are relatives of the McGraws, Larry and Charlotte Ludwig. I credit them for 'pushing' the reconnect button for two old East Side High 'grounded' 'Flyers.'

During a couple of our visits to the Springfield, (Missouri) McGraws, Tom shared some interesting World War II stories about his older brother, Ray, Jr. who served with honor. As I deciphered the stories told, I developed a growing interest in this man, this war vet.  I finally requested of Tom that he make arrangements for Gerry and I to meet his 86+ year-old brother. Tom and Ann did make that happen and Gerry and I spent a wonderful afternoon at Ray and his wife, Mary Ann's Belleville, Illinois home. Ray and I continued to telephone one another thereafter as we swapped stories of sport and East St. Louis.

A year or so after that meeting, Ray was hospitalized with a stubborn illness and Gerry and I visited him.  Ray was discharged from the hospital and perhaps a year later, Mary Ann hosted a 90th birthday party for Ray at their home and invited Gerry and I. A large gathering assembled to celebrate Ray's special day. It was neat to watch this warm and gentle man beam with joy over the loving attention, which flowed freely in his direction.

Gerry and I will travel today to Belleville and embrace Mary Ann and her family and join them in a  respectful/loving farewell to Ray McGraw, Jr. who died earlier this week. I met Ray, Jr. when I was perhaps 70 or 71 and new him for a it over three years but I am blessed for the friendship experience and at 74, I am a richer man for his kind sharing.

The late television personality, Art Linkletter once said, "Kid's say the Darndest Things." I would certainly agree with that perception but quickly add, the "Older folks Relate the most Profound Experiences;" take time to listen and pay it forward and you also will find the riches.

No comments:

Post a Comment