Monday, March 18, 2013

Thinking 'Outside the Box'

The new mini-series, "the Bible" has generated some conversation about the 'greatest story ever told.'  I suppose that I have seen many of the movie and television portrayals of this epic Christian phenomenon. I recall many of the movies, especially, "The Robe," "The Ten Commandments" and "Jesus of Nazareth." I like these historical stories to 'come alive' on the screens; I believe that it is the best vehicles to reach the minds of young people.

Often times such movie and T. V. presentations send me to the Bible to 'look-up' or investigate various passages. However, it was my neighbor's recent comment that had me paging my King James version. My neighbor fella was beside himself a few months ago when he reported that his two second-cousins married one another. He adamantly cursed the notion saying,"It ain't right to marry within bloodlines, it says so in the Bible!" Well, I searched the book of Genesis and for the life of me, I could not find a passage addressing the matter. I am not a Biblical scholar and I know very few absolutes. Nonetheless, I am certain that if one subscribes to the evolution theory of creationism then one must accept the idea that Cain begot an offspring with a bloodline relative.  That's correct, Enoch was the child of Adam and Eve's children. This means the global family tree is a 'trunk.' Then again, there is the possibility that God with His infinite powers may have created this universe and all people with deeper mysteries beyond any human knowledge, including the prophets. Personally, I subscribe to that latter notion and God will reveal or not reveal the mystery as He chooses.

While searching through the Bible last evening, I read that passage about how we will always have 'wars and rumors of wars.' This premise caused me to ponder  solutions to societal problems. Let's suppose we adopt the "Old Folks' War Plan." Suppose that we have an international agreement that ALL nations will use only troops who are both men and women over the age of 62. Don't laugh or think the idea is silly; it has great upsides. Our war casualties suddenly reduce the number causing increased health care costs...there, that problem is solved! We also free up a greater number of 'up-close' parking spaces at Wal Mart, which are now used for excessive handicap spots. Finally, old people, as yours truly, enjoy traveling and seeing world sights but we are on fixed incomes; this  government funded Old Folks War Plan would pay for my travel expenses.

Perhaps you find a flaw in this approach based on old-folks sight problems and dexterity-deficiencies, which might minimize efficient gun-aiming; keep in mind that the targets would be slow moving. Of course, there IS a better War Plan...have mothers' rule all nations and then note the number of military conflicts and rumors of conflict.

No comments:

Post a Comment