Friday, March 15, 2013

Laugh and Enjoy When You May

My wife and I have lived in Decatur for 15-plus years. Our daily routine is somewhat predictable. I get up about 6:30A.M. and go downstairs to make coffee and read the morning newspaper. After the news read, I post my blog.  At 8:00AM., I take breakfast to my wife in bed. Breakfast is usually cereal, juice and coffee. We watch a couple of television news spots and then play 'our morning bedroom game. Don't jump to any nonsense conclusions; we take turns reading the days newspaper clebraties'  birthday mentions. The other day, she read the name saying, "Hall of Fame 'baseball' player, Michael Jordan." I answered, "I don't know hall of fame baseball player, Michael Jordan." Well, my wife laughed for three straight minutes and she enjoyed the moment so much, I skipped telling her that Jordan did not play baseball but played basketball; her laughter was too great-a-moment! It reminded me of the line in a song: "I'll be a fool for you..." I will offer this piece of advice should you desire to play the 'guess birth ages of celebraties' with your spouse; begin playing soon because as time goes by you don't know these younger pop culture stars.

Today, we will quicken our morning pace. Our son and daughter-in law are going to Chicago for a weekend getaway and they are distributing off springs for 'watch-over-them' assignments; we get two of five. Nana and Boompa will welcome two of the 14-year old triplet boys; Jamie and Jake. I can manage the weekend because the boys no longer beat the hell out of each other, throw a thousand rocks into the fish pond or pester the dog until he is eating the hair off his legs.

Actually, we look forward to their visits these days. This weekend, grandson, Caleb's Eastern Illinois University baseball team opens up its home schedule versus Austin Peay. Nana and Boompa will take the two boys to Charleston today and tomorrow, weather permitting and enjoy America's past time. Of course, we shall eat more food than necessary but I did mention they are fourteen years old!

I need this lighthearted weekend. Yesterday afternoon, Gerry and I traveled to Jacksonville to attend Jerry Symonms' wake visitation. Jerry broadcast JHS Crimsons' basketball games for 50 years. He was my advocate-anchor during my 21-years coaching tenure in Jacksonville. His brief cancer illness was diagnosed just 10 weeks ago. He leaves behind his wife Sharon who is restricted to a wheelchair due to M.S., which she has had for 25 years. My heart aches.

I would strongly encourage anyone with something unsaid, unresolved or broken to address such matters expediently. We are all a part of a fragile-brief journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment