Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Man's Best Friends; Dogs & Doctors

THURSDAY, MARCH 28, 2013 POST...


My wife and I took Toy Poodle, 'Yodie' for his annual booster shots and checkup exam. The past 36-years we have taken four (4) different 'Poodles' to the same Jacksonville veterinarian, Dr. 'Ducky" Mallard; not to be confused with my general retired Jacksonville surgeon, Dr.Alfie Mandrake. You might say they are a couple of good ol' 'birds.'  My current 'family physician,' Dr. Dutch Duckweed is also efficient and a fine fellow. I truly enjoy my visits with these professionals, although I would rather have my own doctor check my prostate than give my Toy Poodle, Yodie any shots. Yodie always looks at me during those shot moments as if I am betraying his unconditional love.

I have had pet dogs my entire life and cannot imagine life without a dog. Thank goodness, my wife holds the same passion for the little canine creatures. Dogs give a most unique stability to daily life; a perfect unwavering consistency! Please consider the following: Gerry and I have been married for 52-years. You know that we have had disagreements and felt anger towards one another at times. My dog is  never mad at me. Contrary, my children think that I am a 'know-it-all' and become frustrated with me; my dog is totally delighted that I know so much, especially his wants and needs. During the 39-years that I coached, I know many parents thought I was mean and perhaps heartless; not 'Yodie.' My dog, if he could talk, would tell you that I am the sweetest most loving person in the world; well, perhaps next to my wife.

I am convinced that my mental health, if not my physical health is enhanced by my canine buddies over the many years and 'Yodie' is just what the doctor ordered for these mellow twilight-years.

I am lucky to have good Doctors although every doctor I have embraces completely diametric political views and attitudes than do I.

One of my 'Duckie' doctors, who will go unidentified, inquired of me recently, "Why are you such a liberal Democrat?" His office assistant was standing nearby and I turned to her and asked, "How long ago was your last pay raise"? She replied, "Three years ago." I then turned to the good doctor and said, "Next question?"

I must stop typing; "Yodie" is scratching at my leg holding his rubber duck in his mouth. He wants to play fight-over-the-duck!            . Should you get a dog; you can buy the green rubber ducks at Bass Pro Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment