Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Great Times / Heart Tug Recall

'Don't put that in your mouth.' 'Don't run with those scissors.' 'Look both ways before crossing the street.'  Those were some of the early cautionary warnings given by parents and adults. As activities and geographical boundaries changed so did the parental warnings. Then one day the child leaves the nest and those parental warnings must be stifled somewhat even though that caring love is unaltered.

It is fair to state that to warn is to express a 'concerning love.'  Regardless where we are in life's journey, we continue to love and care for others. That said, I will always wish to protect my children and grandchildren. There are so many things that I wish to forewarn my children and grandchildren.

Yesterday, I experienced a new concern for the youngsters who follow. Let me explain. My wife and I wished to capture the wonderful beauty of a clear-blue sky and the pleasant 77 degree temperatures so we packed a picnic lunch, grabbed a bottle of wine and scooped up the poodle as we headed to Lake Decatur. The Decatur lakeside offers picnic areas, pavilions, miniature golf walking trails, boating, fishing, baseball batting cages and lakefront eateries. Our lakefront is good with even greater potential. Now, this is the same stomping grounds most familiar to our grandchildren. In the early 2000's, my wife and I held a five (5) day Naboo Camp. The name 'Naboo' is derived from my wife's grandparent 'handle', Nana and my grandfather name, 'Boompa...thus NABOO. The purpose for the nearly week long grandparents-grandchildren engagement were simple fun, cousin-bonding without the intrusion of 'helicoptering' parents.
My wife orchestrated 'theme-dinners' and we took kids on field trips to the zoo, museums, golfing picnics and motor home camping. Naboo Camp lasted six consecutive summers in actuality and the rest of my life in precious memories. Without question the greatest result from the Naboo Camps will always remain the cousin-connection and love for one another.

Well, Nana and Boompa both had that strange lump in our throats and a heartache as we walked by familiar sites where we laughed and played with those grandkids. One grandchild is now married, another a second year elementary teacher, five others are in college, one in middle school and one in high school.

All said, I therefore feel the need to send out yet another warning. Don't miss the opportunities to create and build those precious family memories  and be prepared to process its recall.

No comments:

Post a Comment