Monday, July 22, 2013

Sex: America's Fascination

I suppose I should never expect to be 'shock-proof' but at my age and given my vast experiences, I would think that I'd be somewhat insulated from 'surprises.' I am not and yesterday morning presented a real television-viewing moment shocker.

I returned to the house from some early morning produce shopping when I walked into the family room to join my wife with a cup of coffee. My wife was taking a break from the morning flower watering chores. The television was on and co-hosts Kathy Lee and Hoda were blabbing away and giggling. As I settled into my chair my wife said, "You are not going to believe what these two gals are talking about." Kathy Lee was doing exaggerated facial contortions while Hoda was waving a 12-inch ruler about attempting to show Katy Lee what the measurement 5 1/2 inches looked like. Kathy Lee inquired of Hoda, "Is that an erect Johnson?" I looked at my wife and said, "You gotta be kidding me; 10;30 A.M. on a major network?" I know the morning newspaper has movie listings with 'rating- numbers' and I remember all seven words that the late comic, George Carlin told us you cannot 'say' on television. Nevertheless, we  have two ladies discussing the size of the male sex organ on T.V. and referencing the penis with the pet-name, 'Johnson.?'  The question about average penis 'size' either soft or hard was the subject of a recent 'study.' I do wish we had more money spent on cancer and Alzheimer's studies than such total nonsense as sex-organ size.

Years ago, Virginia Slim cigarette commercials targeted the female market. The company producing Virginia Slims had a catch phrase about the modern day transformation of the American female; The slogan was "You've come a long way, baby." I suppose women have 'come' a long way. Women now may dress like a man, curse like a man, deface their bodies with tattoo markings initiate relationships and share date expenses with a man.  I expect women will not be offended when men begin television discussions about breast and vagina sizes.

I understand that a popular segment on the Kathy Lee & Hoda Show is a 'make-over' moment. Periodically, they select a couple of gals from the streets and do one of those before and after make overs. I believe the day is fast approaching when Hoda may whip out her 'ruler' and settle the new segment question, "Which of these two guys has the biggest 'Johnson?'



No comments:

Post a Comment