Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Lucky and Blessed

There is not enough time or ink to list all the ways God has blessed me. Let me just touch on the very fact that I beat many odds and should not be living at age 74. I explain:

Through the years, I ate much cheese and tuna fish from a can. My tuna-fish sandwich with mayo (school lunch) sat in my hot metal-locker from 7:30 A.M. until noon many days.  As a young boy, I went barefoot wading and tubed for catfish in water moccasin infested lakes and I ate crawdads from creeks with suspect sewage. My mother told me that as a baby, I slept on my tummy in cribs covered with lead-base paint. I am sure the child proof medicine bottles were unheard.

My adolescent years saw me hitchhiking or riding my bike throughout the 80 thousand East St. Louis residents in a total state of denial that any harm could come to a 12-year old city boy. Those little league baseball teams had tryouts and some kids did not make the team; they dealt with the disappointment...imagine that. I don't remember but I am sure  that I stood in the front seat of my parents' auto unrestrained; I do recall standing in the back of dad's pickup truck. If thirsty enough, I disregarded mother's advice 'not to put my mouth on the public ball diamond fountain.' I have eaten tons of white bread, too many cup cakes, enough sugar drinks to float the Queen Mary, real butter and a pig-farm of fried bacon. The amazing aspect of this life style left me skinny because I was one 'active' boy in perpetual motion.

As a young boy, I left the house in summer months at about 9 A.M. and returned for the supper hour. My mother could not contact me during the day; no one could possibly know my whereabouts. I  did not have sophisticated toys but entertained myself with 'homemade' spinner games and board games.

I never heard of lawsuits but I did have firsthand information about the omnipotence of the law, teachers and clergy. I also knew that a belt could be used for something other than 'holding' up my father's trousers.

The aforementioned reminiscences is not a brag or boast. They are occurrences, which defy seventy-four years.

No comments:

Post a Comment