Saturday, July 20, 2013

Never a Ball & Chain

I am certain that many who read this blog come to believe that  perhaps I 'harp' on some subjects a tad too often, i.e., cell phones usage and especially, cell phone use in the presence of others, which is rude manners. I make no apologies for those previously expressed attitudes nor do I back off of the following; I told you so moment!

Kent State University just completed a study (wasting money) to conclude that those college students who spent 14 hours  or more a day on their iPhone were more overweight and less fit than those who spent fewer hours on the iPhone...duh! Anywhere you may go publicly, you cannot help but notice that most folks are 'looking' down towards their handheld gadget (iPhone). Adolescent boys, who once played grab-ass tag now plop their over sized asses on benches and engross themselves texting some other 'puffy' kid while nearby social contact opportunities are ignored. Many times I find myself wishing to engage some of my grandkids in conversation only to notice they are occupied with their cell phone; it transcends bad manners and becomes a missed sharing moment never to present itself again. How very sad.

Just this morning at 6 A.M., I headed out the door for my 45-minute walk before the heat and humidity became unbearable. My wife suggested that I take my cell phone in case of an emergency. I took the phone but I did not turn it on and after I post this blog, I am heading to the backyard swing with the Toy Poodle, Yodie, a cup of coffee and NO PHONE!



No comments:

Post a Comment